Thursday, April 18, 2013

Meet Sara, Commissario Tecnico


My friend V (aka Wanda) has been asking me for some time to write a blog entry. I’ve been a little reluctant because her blog is pretty specific to management of women’s soccer and she has a grip on marketing strategies and social media, while I just assimilate information from various outlets and elaborate on the “sociology of soccer”. Basically she has a clever blog, while I stand on the “sport bar” of things.
Most of our conversations end up comparing the evolution of soccer in North America vs what happens in the rest of the world. My take on things is that unless there is a progressive constant investment across federations, women’s soccer will keep being a semi-pro thing for the most part, relegated to limited glory moments, privilege of a few countries.

Now here is what. I’m Italian. I mean from Italy - not from the Jersey shore (no offence intended). I was born and raised in Italy, pasta and calcio and the drama that comes with it. My family of six is equally split between AC Milan (me and my dad), Juventus (older brother and younger sister) and Inter Milan (older sister and mother – hence the drama).

Before I continue, I need to point something out. This is fundamental. In Italy, nobody calls Milan “AC Milan”; it’s just Milan. The other team from the same city is Inter. Juventus is often called Juve and we refer to Juventus as “gobbi” (hunchbacked) - they don’t like it but hey; they refer other compliments at us, it’s ok. We show love and respect - soccer brotherhood - only when the Nazionale plays. If we happen to win the World Cup, we all reach heaven. Nothing else matters. It’s a collective happy drunken feeling. Nothing can bring you down. You are a world champion. I’m serious.

During a normal season, club supporters are managers, coaches, pundits for their teams. The president/team owner should call them; they know better. When the Nazionale plays, we all – the whole country – become CT; that is commissario tecnico, which is the National team’s coach. They should call us for the roster, starting eleven, system, subs. We all know better. Where do we come up with the formation, system, roster, etc.? At the bar, while drinking espresso and reading the Gazzetta dello Sport. That’s where all the “sport bar” conversations initiate. That’s our school. That’s where the theory and sociology of soccer begins and that is what I’m bringing to this blog.  

Closing the circle. My parents owned what? A bar. I would skip kindergarten because it was boring and they didn’t allow me to play what? Soccer. So I would spend time in the bar, playing arcade video games and …soccer. Yes, in the bar dribbling stools and chairs, scoring in the smallest possible space or just outside the door, banging the plasticlightcolored ball against the wall. I still remember the sound.  And I remember the comments “She’s good! She’s very good to be a girl!”. I just didn’t know what that meant. I played better than all other kids. And yes, all other kids where boys, but at the time I didn’t know that would have made a difference growing up. I was just playing … the beautiful game.

Check back for my next blog post or follow me on Twitter for updates. I can't wait to write, speculate and strategize with you on how to grow this beautiful game in our beautiful world!

Join Italian me (Sara) on Twitter @Lapinats - I'm a Twitter newbie.  I'm also an Aries. Italian. Favorite color red. Love love love soccer. Talk a lot. Direct. Passionate. Curious. I think I'm funny. Lived in Italy, Ireland, USA. A loyal friend. Join dots. Leaps of faith. Big jumps. Believe in human potential. This is the voice of a dot. Let me hear your voice. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment